VOSB = Veteran Owned Small Business SDVOSB = Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
The Veteran Small Business Certification (VetCert) program is a certification with the SBA that allows both Veteran Owned and Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business to compete for contracts across the Federal government. VOSB/SDVOSB certified businesses can compete for federal sole-source and set-aside contracts. They also have additional opportunities to pursue these same kind of contracts at the Veterans Administration (VA) under the VA’s VETs First program.
Changes have been implemented this past year stating that as of January 1, 2023 all certifications for VOSB And SDVOSB are to go through the SBA for processing. The VA has been processing applications previously. This final rule was published on November 29, 2022. It provides program guidance and governance and is published in the Federal Register.
Purpose of the Program
- Level the playing field for veteran business owners with set aside contracts.
- Make it easier for veteran-owned companies to compete for and win federal contracts
- Assist veteran owned small businesses to grow their revenue stream
- Form joint ventures and teams to bid on contracts, making it easier for your VOSB/SDVOSB firm to perform on larger “prime” contracts
- Ability to propose and bid on local or national contracts