UEI = Unique Entity Identifier or a Unique Entity ID
How do I get a UEI number for my business?
In order to get your UEI number if your business doesn’t already have one, you must register your business on SAM.gov. SAM is the system that assigns this number to all businesses. Registering your business on SAM.gov is called “Entity Registration”. This process allows your business to bid on contracts and apply directly for federal awards or grants. Entity registration requires more information than just your legal business name. It requires assertions, representations, certifications, and other business information.
You do not need to go through Entity Registration to obtain your Unique Entity ID.
Steps to getting your UEI Number
- Gather the following information:
- Legal Business Name
- Physical Address (no P.O. Boxes)
- Start Year or Year of Incorporation
- State of Incorporation
- National Identifier (entities based outside of the US)
- Create SAM.gov login
- Sign in to SAM.gov
- Create a Login.gov account and connect it to your SAM.gov account
- On the home page, select Get Started under “Register Your Entity or Get a Unique Entity ID” section on the right hand side of the page. And again, on the next page
- Pick Get a Unique Entity ID Only and select Next
- Select the checkbox beside “I can provide official documentation” and select Next.
- Enter your legal business name and your physical address.
- SAM will search for all entities with matching information and display the results. If you see your business information in the results continue to step 10. If you do not see your business information, jump to step 11
- a. If you see your entity listed, select the option on the left “I recognize my entity in the legal entities list”, and select the entity in the results, then select Next.
- b. Check to see if all your information is accurate and select Yes or No and select Next
- If you do not see your entity in the list, select the second option “I do not recognize my entity in this list, select Next
- Enter your ear of incorporation and the state and select Next
- There is a check box to mark if you do not wish your information to be publicly available which is optional. Check the box at the bottom saying your authorized representative, select Receive Unique Entity ID
- Your UEI is shown on the next screen and an email confirmation will be sent to you.
- Write it down for your records or print out your email confirmation.